When running a library audit, it is usually a good idea that the library is inactive:
1. Use the DISABLE SE command to prevent starting new client node sessions.
2. Use the QUERY SE command to identify any existing administrative and client node sessions.
3. Use the CANCEL SE command to cancel any existing administrative or client node sessions.
4. Use the Q PR command to identify active background processes.
5. Use the CANCEL PR command to cancel any active background processes.
6. Use the Q MO command to identify the status of any mounted tape volumes.
7. Use the DISMOUNT VOL command to dismount idle volumes.
With the library inactive, run the AUDIT LIBR command with the switch CHECKL=b. This switch is optional, but it will make the audit run much faster. This audit involves your robot scanning the barcode labels of all tapes. If the robot cannot read the barcode label or the barcode label is missing, TSM mounts the tape to read the label.
The default action is to mount each tape to identify the volume. The audit runs until all tapes are dismounted.
Lastly, checkin any new volumes (first for SCRATCH volumes, then for PRIVATE volumes) that the audit process may discover:
End this process, by running the ENABLE SE command to enable new client node sessions.
For the PDF version of this document, send a blank email, with subject line "Running a TSM Library Audit", to TSM Assist